Dedicated Server is a type of service where a certain server is provided specifically for a single client who can basically control and access it just like having it in his/her home. In such a case, one client pays entirely for the service, and the hosting service provider will be providing everything needed, such as the server machine, software, and the operating system needed, along with stable connectivity to run these servers 24/7.
If you’re running multiple businesses or even personal websites, Dedicated Server environment is highly recommended for you. This promises total control of their websites, plenty of disk space, and high volumes of traffic. You can count this as a way out of the shared hosting service, where you will be facing competition in terms of the disk space, bandwidth, and connectivity along with the other customers who share the same server with you.
Once you decided to make a move for Dedicated Server, now you need to decide whether you want a Managed Dedicated Server or Unmanaged Dedicated Server. Some important points of each that you should closely consider before deciding.
• Running a huge business, you do not have the time to manage the site physically yourself, a Fully Managed Dedicated Server is for you. All the headaches are left to your hosting provider as they manage and monitor servers within their own datacenter round the clock, along with backups service, software updates, firewalls, and other security management.
• On a Managed Dedicated Server package, the host offers support for troubleshooting and fix any problem that occurs, and gives you support every hour of the day for the entire year. There are differing degrees of server management, depending on how much you need and are willing to pay.
• This service is not offered in the typical shared hosting, and though this is very expensive, it gives you the capability to focus on more important tasks of your business.
• If you don’t have an IT around, it makes you save more time, money, and effort. But, there’s a limit that you may not get support for a coding problem on your blog.
Unmanaged Dedicated Server:
• Unmanaged Server is cheaper because there’s no management – i.e. no routine support. While offering the physical resources you might need and remote administration access to your server, you will be the one to take care of it.
• You have to maintain it, do the needed software updates, and troubleshoot – meaning you need to either have the technical skills yourself or hire a server administrator.
• This might come in cheaper than the managed hosting, however, hiring a server administrator is costly too, and might compromise the speed and management of your websites in case that person quits, and you will have to go through hiring another tech again.
• When your server is unmanaged, even if it is owned and hosted by a web hosting company. You need to decide when updates happen, how the server is managed, who has access, and what software you install.
Considering all of this, it may be in fact better to consider Managed Dedicated Server. Everything is handled by the provider – even the bandwidth requirements are automatically adjusted & hence you can focus on your business more.