Colocation Server Hosting Vs Dedicated Server Hosting: Which One Should You Choose For Your Business
An important aspect of computing infrastructure is the hosting plan. Businesses often find themselves at chaos during this selection procedure. The best hosting plan for your business depends purely on the specific needs of your particular business. Hence there is no single answer for the best hosting plan.
What is Colocation Server Hosting?
Colocation server hosting is where you rent out an empty slot in a rack and then supply the server. Here, managing the hardware is entirely your responsibility. The only functions of the data center are power supply, cooling, and Internet connectivity. Colocation data centers are well equipped with an amazingly high level of security. Hence, for enterprises that seek near-complete control over their servers, they are an ideal option.
Some advantages of colocation server hosting are:
1. You are free to build your servers exactly the way you want. Hence we can customize the system perfectly to suit the needs of the system.
2. It facilitates many cybersecurity protocols like firewalls. These help in the restoration of data if at all there is a breach.
3. You are able to establish a dedicated line between your office and the colocation facility. This imitates a physical on-site presence of the server when they are actually stored safely in a data center.
4. It minimizes cost to an extent as floor space is minimized.
5. The presence of servers in a colocation center, allows businesses to gain access to the host’s high-speed bandwidth.
6. Servers operate at optimal efficiency.
What is Dedicated Server Hosting?
Dedicated server hosting is where you rent an entire existing physical server and its resources from a service provider. This basically means that the client does not own the server. Instead, the hardware functions are the sole responsibility of the host. The host has to maintain the hardware, upgrade it and install software updates. In effect, you’re not just renting the server hardware, but it also includes any power, cooling, and network connectivity the server needs.
Some advantages of dedicated server hosting are:
1. Expensive hardware need not be purchased as the data owners are responsible for the supply.
2. You need not share disk space, bandwidth or any other resource with the client. This adds to the performance.
3. Maintenance of servers is the responsibility of data centers and hence you need not worry about it. This also includes any hardware component failure.
4. You are free to scale the servers in relation to your business growth.
5. It offers a unique IP address for your business website.
What to Choose?
There is no simple rule to help you choose the right server hosting for your business. Making the right choice depends entirely on you and the requirements of your business enterprise.
Colocation is a great solution for those systems which demand a near-complete control over the servers. They are customized to satisfy individual business needs and gives you much more control over the infrastructure. On the other hand, dedicated server hosting helps you to scale in response to the changing circumstances. This scaling does not require the purchase of new hardware. You can also have access to high-speed internet and the latest server technologies. Moreover, you need not worry about the maintenance of these features.
The best type of server hosting is to be selected according to your individual business needs. Do a thorough check to identify which one is most suitable to your needs to develop an effective business.