To understand what exactly it does first we have to know its basic meaning or defination . In simple words we can say that joomla is a Content Management System through which the users can manage websites and can also build powerful apps .
Its popularity and reasons behind it –
It can be downloaded freely by anyone . Along with that it can be used quite comfortably and easyily which makes it very popular among all of us . It has alreasdy been downloaded more than 78 million times , it offers 7800 free and commercial extensions available at official joomla extension directory . With all these factors it is said to be second most popular content management system on internet after wordpress .
Joomla can be easily downloaded on any web server with PHP and MySQL . It is commonly used all over the world , and have some users like corporate websites , government application , school/college websites and etc .
Extensions and its types –
If you are building your website with joomla you need to have some extra features which are not available in joomla but you can easily extend those through extensions it offers .
There are five type of components available with Joomla . They are as follows –
1) Components – They can be termed as most complex one . They are seen as mini applications . It is divided into two parts . Every time A Joomla page is opened one part is used to handle the body of page .
Every time A Joomla page is opened one part is used to handle the body of page .
The two parts are – site part and administrator part .
2) Modules – Modules are light weighted extensions and are often reffered or seen as the boxes around components . Some examples of modules are – Login module , Footer module and etc . So you are free to decide wether to show them or hide depending on the page viewed . modules may not be linked with anything as they can be simple HTML or text .
3) Plugins – They are the most advanced extension and are used for the purpose of event handling . While using any part be it components or modules or anything an event can be triggered , plugins that are registered with application can handle that event execution . For example :- A plugin can be used to filter out inappropriate words from submitted articles .
4) Templates – templates are basically design or the look of your Joomla powered site . This extension offers utmost flexibility and you can any time according to your wish change the look or design of your website .
5) language – It is the most basic extension and is divided into two parts namely –
> Core package
> Extension package
So this was a simplified description about Joomla Hosting . Hope you find it useful .